Sunday, April 25, 2010

Part of Your World





When I was little, I wanted to be a marine biologist. I devoured books about ocean life, I spent every moment I could in a pool or, if we were in Alabama, in the ocean. I went through about 20 goldfish and named them all; I knew I was going to be the best damn marine biologist ever. However, once I reached high school I realized I was no good at science. I took Honors Chem and AP Chem, but I realized during AP Chem that science was not a road I wanted to travel. I absolutely hate it when I ask a question and the answer is, "It doesn't really matter. What matters is that it is that way." I think I drove my first chemistry teacher wild with my questions.

The whole reason I bring this up is because that desire to be a marine biologist hit me like a ton of bricks today. I went to see Disney's Oceans today with some friends and that cinematography is absolutely stunning. It's not just movie magic, though. The whole way our world works
astounds me. The intricate ecosystems that exist all over the world? No way that came from some random explosion trillions of years ago. How can you not know those systems were made by our Lord?

I love water creatures because they are so magical. They're graceful, but they're wild. Well, they're wild animals, so maybe that was me just typing idiocy. Get used to it. It happens a lot. I really wish I could communicate to you the way that movie made me feel. Have you ever seen a movie that makes you feel like any minute, you could leap out of your seat and into the screen? When you feel with every fiber of your being that what you see on the screen, the majesty of the waves, the salt on the air, and the cries of the whales, that is where you're supposed to be? If you haven't felt that sort of thing before, well, I'm sorry. And I'm also going to stop explaining because I don't think I'm doing that sensation justice. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment